Year

Ramblings on life, school and whatever gets stuck in my mind

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

First Conference Presentation

I feel all grown up this week. I made my first professional presentation about my research last Friday March 23, 2013 at the Virginia Forum in Ashland, Virginia http://virginiaforum.org/. This is a place where Virginia historians gather together to present and discuss research projects that focus on various aspects of Virginia history. This was not only my first presentation at this conference but also my first attendance. I will plan to go back next year when it's held at George Mason.

I wasn't as nervous presenting as I thought I would be. Our presentation was titled, Preserving a Mercantile History : Digitizing document artifacts of  the Ware Neck general store”. Our session was about Digital collections so we focused on the technical aspect of our project, not necessarily any research, especially since we haven't gotten to that point yet. We presented with a husband and wife, she showed her organization's(AAS- American Antiquarian Society) digital collections, while he showed how his research benefited from digital collections. The session flew and I'm glad I didn't end up being as nervous. I stumbled over a couple of lines but didn't completely bomb it. We received two rounds of applause. During the Q&A part, we had one question about the steps of scanning and also praise for using our own equipment for the project. While we were leaving we were stopped by a woman who told us that she wanted to enlist us for some help, unfortunately, I was too frazzled to remember to give her my card.

I'm looking forward to the next phase of this project!

http://www.wareneck.omeka.net

No comments:

Post a Comment